Thursday, March 11, 2010

More Cleaning Recipes

Did you know it's way, Way, WAY cheaper to make your own cleaners?  I'm sure you've heard it all before, but it seriously is!  Not only is it WAY cheaper, but it cuts a LOT of chemicals out of your life.  Do you need chemicals to obtain clean?  NO!  Seriously, NO!  There I'll say it one more time for emphasis:  NO!

Here are my homemade cleaners.  It's super-duper nice that they are basically made from all the same ingredients.  And most are so easy even my kids can mix them up when needed.  Here is my disclaimer:  There are not MY recipes.  I've researched all over the internet to find ones that I liked using.  With that said, if I have the site I got them from, it's listed, but if it's not, it's so far gone I can't remember.  Also, with my trial and errors and notes, any original recipe may have been altered.  But these are the concoctions that I currently use! :)

  • A great Dishwasher powder soap recipe im currently using is
    4 cups washing soda
    4 cups borax
    1 cup sea salt
     mix well and store in a 6 cup air tight container use approx 2 tablespoons with each load.  The salt acts as a scrubbing agent.
    ALWAYS use vinegar in your rinse aid :)

Scouring Powder
1 cup baking soda
1 cup borax
1 cup salt
Blend and store in container.
Use like you would Comet.



Multi Purpose Cleaner 
1/4 cup baking soda
3/4 cup household ammonia
1/2 cup white vinegar
1gallon (16 cups) warm water
Mix all ingredients and store. 
Pour into spray bottle when needed.

Here is my next test:  To make my own liquid dish soap.  I've been researching different methods so I'll list them here, try them out and then let you know what I come up with.  As for the Castile Soap, I was able to find some at Safeway (Dr. Bonners 18-in-1, in the health food section) that was already scented.  I've heard this works just fine, just be sure to omit the essential oils since they are already added.  It came in Mint and Lavender.

Recipe #1: Liquid Castile Soap
This method is by far the easiest because the base is pre-made within the castile soap.

1. Grab some liquid castile soap from your local health food store. Castile soap refers to any soap that is made entirely from vegetable oil.
2. Mix 2 cups of castile soap with 1/2 cup of warm water in a recycled dish soap squeeze bottle.
3. For scented dish soap, add a few drops of essential oils.
4. Shake well before using


Here is another one:
Recipe #2: Soap Flakes
Buy soap flakes where you usually purchase laundry detergent.

1. Combine 2 cups of soap flakes with one gallon of warm water.
2. Place the mixture in a large, non-reactive pan and warm over medium heat until the soap is completely dissolved.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of glycerin and remove from heat.
4. After letting the soap cool, add a 1/2 cup of lemon juice or 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Either of these 2 ingredients will help the soap to fight grease.
5. For a scented soap, add a few drops of essential oils. Mix well.




No comments:

Post a Comment